Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Small Delays

With the weather and ill children at home, progress on projects continues to be slowed a bit. However, that does not mean progress is not being made. Applications for a show in Indianapolis, as well as Winona Lake, have been submitted; acceptance notifications are sent out near the end of the month. Also, there may be two opportunities to showcase commissioned type work in March. As previously mentioned, any acceptance of works through these avenues will be posted on the 'Events' page.

I spent time this evening cleaning the pallet and brushes, as well as taking inventory of canvas supplies. I would like to see all thirteen canvases painted and ready for display by the first of May. As I was enjoying the time just setting things in order, I was reminded of something someone once told me, "if you want to be a serious artist, never have children." At the time I was pregnant with my first child and I was a bit shocked. I realized later what this artist was saying. Being an artist consumes quite a bit of time, time that cannot be sacrificed when one has a family. I love my family and I am grateful for them everyday. Creating art will never be the priority over them. Yes, I will continue to pursue what I believe to be a gift from God, which may also open doors to communicate His heart to others, but they will always come first.

Writing this I am also reminded of something a friend of mine from the corporate world once said, "if you do something, even a little bit every day, eventually you will have a whole project done." This encourages me to do something every day with regard to painting, creating compositions, or capturing a vision. Even one hour in the studio will eventually lead to an entire portfolio and a sense of knowing I took yet another step in the direction of something larger than myself.

Take care,
Shanon

0 comments: