Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Staying on Course

The village of Winona Art Fair on June 4th and 5th went well. From setup to tear down, the whole experience was wonderful. Friday night the realization was quickly made that the simple display was going to need to be accented with furniture items. The goal was to give the sense that the viewer was standing in a very intimate gallery. Compared to more experienced artists, the display was quite simple, but many remarks were made as to how well it looked being the first art fair experience.



For years mostly family and friends have seen the work that I create and for the first time it was made more public and I was able to witness first responses to certain works. Over the course of this two day event, ninety degree weather, and a storm, I realized there are certainly risks, but also rewards with this type of event. I was so blessed by all those who made it out in the heat and humidity to be supportive and encouraging, and again, thank you. I also found I most enjoyed communicating with all the people stopping by the booth.

Following this experience, as well as conversations with individuals and my family, it seems as though continuing on the course I have been on for the past several months is a good idea. The foundation from the business aspect has already been laid. Contacts and mentors continue to provide advice and directions. And most importantly, my family absolutely loved being a part of the creative event. They again have encouraged me to continue moving forward – this is a blessing. As was mentioned before, the pursuit may not be as aggressive, but those closest and most important to me have solidified the notion to not completely give in and resort to an intermittent hobby.

Take care,

Shanon

0 comments: